Friday, January 20, 2012

Offering Our Gifts to Him

Photo credit: pinterest.com
Hey everyone! Happy Friday! I have a sweet story I wanted to share today. I recently began working with the children at my church. They are such a blessing! They make me laugh, and I think I learn more from them than they do from me. One sweet little girl came up to me and handed me a brown paper bag that was folded over a couple times and stapled shut. I mean, it was REALLY stapled shut! Lots of staples! Also, she cut out Disney princesses and taped them to the front of the bag. So cute! She handed it to me real fast and walked away.


Me: "Wait up Abby! What is this?"


Abby: "It's a pwesent fow you!" (She has the cutest little voice)


I opened it carefully and inside sat a couple little things. One looked like something she had made out of those melty beads, and the other was a sweet little angel pin. I gave her a big hug and thanked her a million times and made a really big deal out of her sweet gift. She just smiled :) Later on I talked to her mom and she told me that Abby had bought those things with her own money, for a quarter a piece. How precious!!


After I went home that night I got to thinking about her gift, and God reminded me that that is exactly how He feels when we offer our gifts up to Him. God doesn't need anything because He is God! They seem like huge gifts to the child, but to Him it is nothing. He may not need them, and they may not be much at all to Him, but Oh! How He loves when His children offer things up for Him! He delights in their efforts to honor and please Him. He makes a big deal about it and always, ALWAYS blesses their obedience! He treasures them because of His great, unending and unimaginable love for His children!


"God notices the most trivial act, accepts the poorest, most threadbare little service, listens to the coldest, feelblest petition, and gathers up with parental fondness all our fragmentary desires and attempts at good works. Oh, if we only begin to conceive how He loves us, what different creatures we should be!"
~Pg. 68, Stepping Heavenward by Elisabeth Prentiss


A little girl's gift blessed my heart and I have thought about it countless times over the past few days. I want to offer up everything for my Savior. Good works didn't save me, but good works are fruit of my salvation. It's because I love Him that I want to sacrifice for Him. I don't like to call it sacrifice though, it's a joy! He gave everything for me, and I want to be willing to give it all up for Him to use however He sees fit. I don't know what that will look like, but I'm ready and willing. Here I am, Lord, send me! Use me up for Your glory!


Thank you Abby for helping me remember how much God treasures and loves me, just like He does all His children. You are precious :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment